Creating a Green (eco-friendly) building makes sense. And if your project attains the prestigious LEED™(for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), it will be ranked among America’s environmentally friendly buildings. The points-based LEED rating systems encompasses commercial buildings, schools, retail space, healthcare facilities and are awarded on four levels: Certified, Silver, Gold and Platinum. According to the USGBC: “LEED is an internationally recognized green building program. It provides building owners and operators with a framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.”
The Advantages of Hiring a LEED™ Certified Builder
To attain LEED certification a builder must meet rigorous professional standards for eco-friendly design, construction and maintenance while earning continuing education credits. Following are just a few of the benefits you will receive if you hire a LEED Certified builder.
- LEED certification signifies that builder is a leader in the environmental design field and an active participant in the green building movement.
- A LEED professional must demonstrate a track record of contributing expertise to the design, construction, operations and maintenance of buildings and neighborhoods that save energy, use fewer resources, reduce pollution, and contribute to healthier environments for their occupants and the community.
- LEEDcertified builders are able to help your project achieve lower operating costs while increasing the value of the buildings.
- LEED Certified builders are experts in the conservation of energy, water and other resources.
- A building project created under the direction of a LEED certified firm will provide a safer, healthier place for its occupants.
- Projects that attain LEED ratings often qualify for tax rebates and zoning allowances.
- Green buildings save on energy costs. In fact, according to a 2012 report issued by the White House Office of Management and Budget, investments in energy efficiency during the previous four years are expected to yield energy cost savings by as much as $18 billion over the life of the projects.
For more information on environmentally sensitive construction projects, please visit Universal Engineering Sciences, a geotechnical engineering firm headquartered in Orlando, Florida with regional offices throughout the Southeastern United States.
Universal Engineering Sciences staffs LEED-certified engineers who will work closely with you to supervise your next Green project. Universal Engineering Sciences specializes in geotechnical engineering, hydrologic/geophysical, environmental sciences, construction materials testing, and threshold inspection and is the largest family-owned business of its type in America.