If you’re a cyclist, pedestrian or HGV driver, you’re likely all to aware of the potential of accidents with left-turning HGVs and trucks? If you’re none of these, you may wonder why use a HGV left turn warning system at all. However, the fact is – they could literally be a lifesaver.
What is s HGV left turn warning system?
A HGV left turn warning system such as Traffic Angel is an audible alert system fitted to HGVs and trucks, to warn pedestrians and cyclists that it is turning left.
There are many reasons why cyclists or pedestrians may be a risk to left-turning HGVs:-
- In congested areas, cyclists – especially courier drivers – often ‘undertake’ larger vehicles to try to get ahead of traffic
- cyclists or pedestrians may not be aware a HGV is turning left
- HGVs have ‘blind spots’ as the driver is on the right of the cab, so could lose visibility of pedestrians or cyclists on the left side of the HGV
- pedestrians sometimes walk in the road, or cross the road away from designed junctions, and are not always traffic aware – especially with larger vehicles
If I’’m a HGV driver, why use a HGV left turn warning system?
The obvious reason why a HGV driver should use left turn warning systems is for safety, especially avoiding accidents.
Like the old saying, ‘prevention is better than cure’, it’s wiser to avoid a confrontation or accident with a cyclist or pedestrian rather than have to face legal or even criminal charges.
By having an loud left turn warning system fitted to a HGV, drivers are showing responsibility and due diligence when it comes to road safety, and are much more likelier to have a minimised potential for accidents.
- Perhaps that cyclist will think twice if he hears the loud alarm?
- Perhaps that audible alert will shake that pedestrian’s attention away from their smartphone?
- Perhaps that buzzing noise will remind the HGV driver to check his left mirror a little more regularly?
Conclusion: there’s many reasons why use a HGV left turn warning system
Clearly, choosing to use a HGV left turn warning system benefits everybody, not just the HGV driver.
Should the worst happen and an accident occurs, it will stand the driver in better stead to be able to indicate the presence of a functional left turn warning system, and could avoid legal or criminal repercussions.
Every time you are turning left in your HGV, that repeating message will alert everybody – you, cyclists, other drivers, pedestrians etc.
“Stand Clear, this vehicle is turning left” – often amped up nearly 100 dB!
What’s more, at night time use and at higher speeds, the warning deactivates itself so it’s only applied when it’s actually needed.
Whilst they do cost money to install, it’s surely a better option than driving unsafely and risking accidents.
A small price to pay indeed, for peace of mind.